Applications for 2018-19 are now closed.
Hockey Helps Kids, the philanthropic initiative of Chloe and Harrison Katz, children of Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz and his wife Renee, is a fun and innovative charity competition which brings together local schools, charities and the Edmonton Oilers to raise awareness and funds for a variety of local charities. The program helps strengthen the relationship between the National Hockey League (NHL), communities, fans and most importantly, helps junior high school students in local communities understand the importance of helping make their community a better place.
Students will engage in research, interviews and data collection to select their charity. Each school and its chosen charity will be teamed up with an Edmonton Oilers player who will be their Team Captain. Each classroom will be tasked to develop a two-minute video to promote their charity and drive votes and awareness, with the goal of achieving the most votes during a designated period. The winning charity will receive $25,000 and the runner-ups will each receive a $10,000 donation.
The Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation (EOCF) is excited to announce that applications for schools to participate in the Hockey Helps Kids program for the 2018-19 season are now open. Please review the information below on how to apply to participate and eligibility requirements for the program.
The following criteria must be met in order to be considered for the Hockey Helps Kids program:
- Only Junior High Schools which embrace school-wide participation and student leadership may apply.
- Hockey Helps Kids is open to schools in Edmonton and the surrounding areas. Accepted school divisions include:
- Edmonton Public Schools
- Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Elk Island Public (Sherwood Park and Fort Saskatchewan only)
- Elk Island Catholic (Sherwood Park and Fort Saskatchewan only)
- Evergreen Catholic (Spruce Grove and Stony Plain only)
- Parkland Public School District (Spruce Grove and Stony Plain only)
- St. Albert Public (St. Albert)
- Greater St. Albert Catholic (St. Albert)
- Black Gold Public School Division (Leduc and Beaumont only)
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Leduc and Beaumont only)
- Schools must be available in early June (exact date to be confirmed) to present a 15-minute presentation to our selection committee. Students will be required to make the presentation and only shortlisted schools will be asked to present.
- Application Form (Open from April 18 to May 18, 2018)
Please complete the attached application form and submit no later than 5:00pm MT on Friday, May 18, 2018.
- In-Person Presentation (Early June)
Shortlisted schools will be asked to prepare a 15-minute presentation to present to our selection committee on why their school should be chosen. Please note that the presentations are required to be made by the students themselves and only shortlisted schools will be asked to present. Final date, time and location to be confirmed.
- School Notification (June 2018)
Successful schools will be notified no later than June 15, 2018.